So while I was contemplating my greatest stumbling block I was studying for one of my other classes. My teacher had us read a talk by President Ezra Taft Benson entitled "Beware of Pride". It had a great inpact on me. I realize now that my greatest stumbling block is pride. And I can say that in reality pride is the greatest stumbling block of everyone. In every sin there is pride. I know that sounds impossible, but it is really true! I can testify of it. "Pride is the great stumbling block to Zion. I repeat: Pride is the great stumbling block to Zion."
So why do you ask is pride the great stumbling block? Well there are actually many reasons. Ask your self this question, do I really know what pride is? "Most of us think of pride as self-centeredness, conceit, boastfulness, arrogance, or haughtiness. All of these are elements of the sin, but the heart, or core, is still missing. The central feature of pride is enmity—enmity toward God and enmity toward our fellowmen. Enmity means “hatred toward, hostility to, or a state of opposition.” It is the power by which Satan wishes to reign over us."
Think about enmity for most of us the definition would fall under a state of opposition. Again think about how this is the greatest stumbling block. How are we showing enmity toward others to toward God?
First of all anytime we are not doing to will of the Father we are being prideful, because we are showing opposition. Anytime, means even if it we think that what he asks of us is hard. How does that show pride? It is because we are underminding his plan. By saying it is too hard we are saying, I don't want to do that. I want it my way.
Second is by having pride towards others. The reason I really bring this up is for one reason. Our pride stops us from listening to others. We will think that what they say is wrong, we will take offense, we will think that they are trying to tear us down, or say we are wrong. It might be true that we are wrong. By being humble we will be able to understand how we are wrong.
By humility we will be able to change in the way that the Lord wants us to and will become a step closer to our ultimate goal.
Think of your family. To stay with them it is time to overcome the great stumbling block. That means listen to the advice of your parents, siblings, your spouse, listen to the children who are waiting to bless your life, listen to the Lord. Let us be humble in all things.
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment